A Canadian work permit is a legal document that permits an individual to work in Canada for a specific period. In order to obtain a work permit, it is necessary to have secured a job with a Canadian employer. The employer must have received a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which allows them to hire skilled international workers for positions that are not readily filled by Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Once you have a Canadian work permit, you can travel around the country, obtain visas for family members, earn a good income, and pursue the possibility of permanent residency in the future.
If you already have a Canadian work permit and you are seeking to renew it while in Canada, keep reading as this article is for you. Here, we would show you how to renew your work permit while you are still in Canada among other relevant information.
Before we proceed, it is expedient to note that the Canadian visa officers may consider some factors as regards the temporary work permit, these factors or conditions include:
- The duration of validity of the permit
- The nature of work the permit holder is authorized to undertake
- The specific employers the foreign worker can work for
- Geographical locations in which the foreign worker is permitted to work
- Certain days or times during which the foreign worker can or cannot work
Also, all work permit holders must compulsorily meet the following requirements:
- They may not work for, or extend their employment with, an employer who is ineligible or on the list of ineligible employers.
- They may not work for or extend their employment with a company that offers services like stripteases, escort services, erotic massages or any form of erotic dances.
Also, violation of either of these rules will lead to the revocation of the work permit. The Canadian visa officer’s ability to add the above conditions to a work permit may be altered in cases where the foreign worker applicant is eligible for an open work permit or required to undergo a medical examination.
How Long is a Canadian Temporary Work Permit?
Usually, work permits remain valid for a period of 1-2 years, but the Canadian visa officer reserves the right to change the validity period based on the following conditions:
- The expiration date of the worker’s passport or travel document. In general, the visa officer will not authorize a work permit with a longer validity period than the passport’s validity. However, this general rule does not apply to some exceptional cases.
- The worker’s means of support in Canada
- The duration of their intended stay
- The validity period of their LMIA or Certificat d’acceptation de Quebec, if applicable
- The expected length of their employment
- The maximum work permit validity period allowed under any relevant program or agreement.
If all conditions are satisfied and a work permit is issued, Canadian visa officers will grant the longest possible validity period based on the above factors.
Extending your Work Permit while you are in Canada
If your work permit is nearing its expiry date or requires to be changed, then you must apply to either renew or change its conditions. Noteworthy, this application must be made at least 30 days before the current work permit expires. Noteworthy, if you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit before the expiry date, you’re legally allowed to stay in Canada while your application is being processed.
Who Can Apply for a Renewal of Work Permit in Canada?
This application is for individuals:
- Who wish to renew their work permit
- Who wish to make changes to the terms of their work permit such as the kind of job they can do, the employer they can work for, or the location where they can work.
- With restrictions on their work permit, such as restrictions due to a medical examination. For example, an open work permit may come with restrictions on working in healthcare if a medical examination has not been completed. However, if a medical examination is completed, these restrictions on where to work can be removed.
- Who need to update their gender information on their work permit.
For employer-specific permits, it is necessary to submit an application to either extend its duration or modify its conditions in any of the following cases:
- Your current job is extended
- There are changes to your present job such as a change in your salary or additional duties,
- You receive an offer for a different job
- You intend to work for a new employer.
How to Apply to Renew Your Work Permit in Canada?
You can apply online to extend or renew your stay in Canada. However, you must meet the following conditions to maintain your status and remain in Canada until your application is completely processed:
- Your extension application must be submitted online unless you are exempted from doing so.
- The application must be completed by including:
- other applicable requirements
- You have to apply before your temporary residence status would expire.
Note that the fees for application starts from $155 and the processing time may be about 134 days. This may vary depending on certain factors peculiar to your circumstances. Also, you must book your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) collection appointment as soon as you can to avoid any processing delays.
Noteworthy, before you apply you must make sure your employer has already done his part to avoid any problems. You must follow the following steps to apply for a renewal or extension:
1. Apply Online
It is better to apply online than on paper because you can know if your application is complete before you submit it. You will also get a letter (WP-EXT except PGWP) that shows you can keep working under the same conditions as your current work permit. Noteworthy, you wouldn’t get this letter if you apply on paper because there’s no way the officials would know if your application is complete until they review it. Also, no courier fees or mail delivery times as your application is received instantly. You can quickly submit more documents online if it is necessary and you get updates on the status of your application directly and without stress.
2. Get your Documents Ready
You need to prepare the necessary documents relevant to your application. You should get a scanner or camera as you would need them to make digital copies of your documents.
3. Answer the Questions
Before you even apply you should read the instruction guide as it would help you with your application. Answer the questions on your screen correctly before you upload your documents. This is because your answers would be used to create a personalized document checklist.
4. Pay the Fees
You are required to pay your fees online using your debit or credit card at the end of the application. Your fees usually include processing fees for you and anyone you wish to include on your application.
Noteworthy, after you have created your account, you can use it to track your application.
If your Canadian work permit would soon expire then it is important to renew with or if need be you may want to change some conditions on the work permit. The latter may be due to certain reasons known to you. This article has just shown you how you can renew your Canadian work permit while you are still in Canada. Following the guidelines in this article will help you extend your work permit without much stress.