Canada has long been a popular destination for immigrants seeking new opportunities and a better quality of life. Its diverse culture, strong economy, and welcoming immigration policies makes it an attractive choice for individuals and families worldwide and migration to Canada has been on the rise due to many factors such as good job opportunities, top-notch education, a thriving economy, a large multi-cultural population amongst others.
Depending on the Canadian city you are moving to, it can take a while to find permanent, long-term accommodation. That’s why most newcomers, when they first land in Canada, book temporary accommodation like a hotel, hostel, an apartment, condo or a house for a couple of weeks or even the first few months.
As both old and new immigrants in Canada can testify, finding affordable and temporary housing can be a daunting task. However, with some research and guidance, it is possible to find suitable accommodation that fits your budget regardless of how long you’ll stay in Canada. In this article, several websites, tips and strategies will be explored to help everyone and anyone find their way around the rental market and secure an affordable temporary apartment in Canada.
Everyone relocating to Canada always considers their length of stay, location, and budget as these are some of the important factors that people take into consideration while booking their stay for the first few days, weeks or months in Canada and one of the most popular means of getting an affordable temporary apartment as an immigrant is through House leasing websites.
There are several websites for every immigrant to get affordable temporary housing in Canada and they will be discussed below in the following order;
Kijiji (Kijiji Canada)
All of the websites above are live links of a good number of reliable house leasing websites available to prospective Canadian immigrants and a click on each website will automatically redirect you to the website address.
We will look at the structure, advantages and disadvantages as well as the average pricing of some of the best and most reliable websites listed above so you can make a choice.
**Kindly note that prices listed on this article are not the actual price but the recommended price based on previous listings.
Realtor is a platform that allows users to search for real estate listings and connect with real estate professionals in Canada. It offers a wide range of services and features related to buying, selling, renting, and investing in properties.
This platform serves as a comprehensive platform for users to search for properties, connect with real estate professionals, and access a wealth of information to facilitate their real estate transactions.
Realtor.ca offers several advantages for users looking to buy, sell, or rent properties in Canada. Here are some key benefits of using Realtor:
- Extensive Listings: Realtor.ca provides access to a vast and up-to-date database of property listings across the country. This platform aggregates listings from various real estate boards and professionals, offering a wide selection of options to cater to different preferences and budgets.
- Reliable and Accurate Information: Realtor.ca ensures that the listings displayed on their platform meet certain quality standards set by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA). As a result, users can expect reliable and accurate information regarding property details, pricing, and availability.
- Professional Assistance: Realtor.ca helps connect users with licensed real estate professionals who can provide expert guidance throughout the buying, selling, or renting process. These professionals have extensive knowledge and experience in the local real estate market, making them valuable resources for navigating complex transactions.
While Realtor.ca has many advantages, there are a few potential disadvantages to consider:
- Limited Availability: Realtor.ca primarily focuses on properties in Canada. If you are looking to buy, sell, or rent properties outside of Canada, the platform may not provide comprehensive listings or the same level of support.
- Competitiveness: Due to the popularity and accessibility of Realtor.ca, some highly sought-after properties may have a lot of competition from other potential buyers. This could make it more challenging to secure a desired property or negotiate a favourable deal.
- Limited Negotiation Process: While Realtor.ca connects users with licensed real estate professionals, the platform itself does not provide direct negotiation capabilities. Negotiations between buyers, sellers, and their respective agents typically occur offline or through separate channels.
Pricing: The pricing for apartments on Realtor.ca can vary significantly depending on the location, size, amenities, and other factors. The average pricing for apartments can also vary based on the city or region in Canada. Here are some approximate average prices for apartments in major Canadian cities as of 2021:
- Toronto, Ontario: The average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment in Toronto is around $2,300 to $2,800 per month, while a two-bedroom apartment can range from $2,800 to $3,500 per month.
- Vancouver, British Columbia: In Vancouver, the average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment ranges from $2,000 to $2,500 per month, while a two-bedroom apartment can cost around $2,500 to $3,500 per month.
- Montreal, Quebec: Rental prices in Montreal are generally more affordable compared to Toronto and Vancouver. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Montreal ranges from $1,000 to $1,500 per month, while a two-bedroom apartment can cost around $1,200 to $2,000 per month.
Kijiji is an online classified advertising platform where individuals and businesses can buy, sell, and trade a wide range of products and services. It serves as a marketplace where users can list and search for items, properties, jobs, services, and more. Originally founded in 2005, Kijiji has become one of Canada’s most popular websites for online classifieds.
Kijiji operates in various cities across Canada and has become a popular platform for Canadians to buy, sell, and find various goods and services locally. It provides a convenient and user-friendly platform for individuals and businesses to connect and engage in transactions.
There are several advantages to using Kijiji for buying, selling, and trading items and services and these includes:
- Local and Convenient: Kijiji’s platform is organised based on locations, allowing users to search for listings specific to their area. This local focus makes it convenient for buyers and sellers to connect and engage in transactions within their own communities. It cuts down on the need for long-distance shipping or travel, making transactions more convenient and often faster.
- Direct Communication: Kijiji facilitates direct communication between buyers and sellers, allowing both parties to negotiate prices, ask questions, and arrange meetups or deliveries. This direct interaction can lead to smoother and more personalised transactions, reducing the need for intermediaries or agents.
- Community Engagement: Kijiji’s community section allows users to stay connected with local events, activities, and services happening in their area. It fosters a sense of community engagement, providing a platform for individuals to connect and support each other’s endeavours.
As with anything that has its advantage, Kijiji isn’t short on its own disadvantages which includes:
- Scammers and Fraudulent Listings: Like any online platform, Kijiji is not immune to scammers or fraudulent activity. Some users may attempt to deceive others by posting fake listings or misrepresenting items, leading to potential financial loss or unsafe transactions. It’s important to exercise caution, use secure payment methods, and thoroughly vet listings before making any transactions.
- Limited Buyer Protection: Compared to established retail platforms or websites, Kijiji has limited buyer protection mechanisms in place. If a transaction goes wrong or if there is a dispute, resolving it can be more challenging, especially if the user is dealing with an uncooperative seller or a fraudulent buyer.
- Privacy and Security Concerns: Sharing personal information, such as contact details, with potential buyers or sellers on Kijiji comes with some inherent privacy and security risks. Users should be cautious when providing sensitive information and should take steps to protect their privacy online.
It is of extreme importance to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines when using Kijiji or any online marketplace. Taking necessary precautions, such as meeting in public places, verifying listings, and using secure payment methods, can help ensure a safe and positive experience on the platform.
Pricing: The average pricing for apartments on Kijiji varies massively depending on several factors, such as location, size, amenities, and the local rental market. The following ranges provide a general idea of the average pricing for apartments on Kijiji in major cities across Canada:
– Bachelor/Studio: $1,200 to $1,800 per month
– 1 Bedroom: $1,400 to $2,200 per month
– 2 Bedrooms: $1,800 to $3,000 per month
– 3+ Bedrooms: $2,500 and above per month
– Bachelor/Studio: $1,200 to $1,800 per month.
– 1 Bedroom: $1,500 to $2,300 per month.
– 2 Bedrooms: $2,000 to $3,500 per month.
– 3+ Bedrooms: $3,000 and above per month.
– Bachelor/Studio: $700 to $1,200 per month.
– 1 Bedroom: $900 to $1,500 per month.
– 2 Bedrooms: $1,200 to $2,000 per month.
– 3+ Bedrooms: $1,800 and above per month.
– Bachelor/Studio: $800 to $1,200 per month.
– 1 Bedroom: $1,000 to $1,600 per month.
– 2 Bedrooms: $1,300 to $2,000 per month.
– 3+ Bedrooms: $1,800 and above per month.
Airbnb is an online marketplace that connects travellers with hosts who offer short-term lodging, such as private rooms, apartments, houses, or even unique accommodations like treehouses or boats. It provides a platform for individuals to rent out their space to guests looking for accommodations, whether for a single night or an extended period.
There are several advantages to using Airbnb for both guests and hosts. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Cost-Effective: Airbnb often offers more affordable options compared to traditional hotels, especially for longer stays or larger groups. Guests can find accommodations that fit their budget without compromising on comfort or amenities.
- Space and Amenities: Airbnb accommodations typically provide more space than traditional hotel rooms. Guests can enjoy living areas, kitchens, and even outdoor spaces, which can be particularly beneficial for families or travellers looking for a home-away-from-home experience. Many Airbnb listings also offer amenities like fully equipped kitchens, laundry facilities, and Wi-Fi, which add convenience and comfort to the stay.
- Security Measures: Airbnb has implemented various trust and safety measures to protect hosts and their properties. This includes guest verification processes, secure payment systems, and host protection insurance coverage for eligible incidents, providing peace of mind for hosts.
While Airbnb has many advantages in store for users, it’s important to consider some of the potential disadvantages as well. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Lack of Privacy: Unlike hotels that offer many rooms within a larger property, Airbnb listings are often more personal homes or apartments. This means that guests may have less privacy and may need to interact with the host or other guests sharing common spaces.
- Limited Support: While Airbnb provides a customer support team, the level of assistance they can offer may be limited compared to larger hotel chains. In case of any issues or concerns during the stay, resolving them may take longer or may not be as prompt as one might expect.
Pricing: The average pricing for apartments on Airbnb can vary greatly depending on several factors, including the location, size and amenities. However, to give a general idea, here are some average prices for apartments on Airbnb:
- Budget Apartments: In more affordable locations or less central areas, you may find budget apartments ranging from $30 to $80 per night. These apartments usually offer basic amenities and may be smaller in size.
- Mid-Range Apartments: In popular tourist destinations or well-located areas, mid-range apartments typically range from $80 to $150 per night. These apartments often offer more amenities, such as a fully equipped kitchen, a living area, and possibly additional features like a balcony or a pool.
- Luxury Apartments: In prime city upscale neighbourhoods, luxury apartments on Airbnb can range from $150 to several hundred dollars per night. These apartments are often spacious, beautifully furnished, and offer high-end amenities and services.
Q: How do house leasing websites work?
A: House leasing websites act as platforms that connect landlords or property owners with potential tenants. These websites allow landlords to list their properties and provide detailed information, photos, and rental terms. Prospective tenants can then search and browse these listings, contact the landlords, and potentially secure a lease.
Q: How can I search for houses on these websites?
A: Most house leasing websites have search filters where you can input specific criteria like location, price range, number of bedrooms, and amenities. These filters help narrow down the search results to match your preferences, making it easier to find suitable properties.
Q: Are all listings on these websites legitimate?
A: While house leasing websites strive to verify the authenticity of listings, it’s important to exercise caution. Some websites have measures in place, such as host verifications and user reviews, to help ensure legitimacy. It’s always advisable to do some research on the property and communicate directly with the landlord before making any commitments.
Q: What are the lease terms usually offered through these websites?
A: Lease terms offered on house leasing websites can vary. Some properties may have fixed-term leases, typically for six months or a year, while others may offer month-to-month rentals or even short-term options. The specific terms are typically outlined in the property listing, and you can negotiate with the landlord if needed.
House leasing websites provide a very convenient platform for both landlords and tenants to connect and facilitate the renting process. They offer a vast selection of properties and helpful search filters to make finding a suitable home easier for immigrants looking to find an affordable temporary apartment in Canada. It is however very important to approach these websites with caution and conduct sufficient research to ensure the legitimacy of listings.
Communicating directly with potential landlords and clarifying all details regarding availability, lease terms, and financial obligations is of utmost importance. In all, utilising house leasing websites can be a valuable resource in finding your next home, but it’s always prudent to exercise due diligence throughout the process.
Hope this article helps in more ways than one. Goodluck to every immigrant looking to find a temporary apartment during their stay in Canada.